World

9 arrested after vicious assault on women in north China


HONG KONG: Chinese authorities have arrested nine people on suspicion of violently assaulting several women at a restaurant after surveillance footage of the attack sparked widespread outrage.
Footage from a barbecue restaurant in Tangshan in northern Hebei province, time stamped 2:40 a.m. Friday, shows one of the men approaching a table where a group of four women were sitting and placing his hand on one woman’s back.
She rejected him several times before he got angry and slapped her, causing her to fight back. An altercation ensued, with a group of men entering the restaurant and brutally assaulting the woman and her dining partners, including shoving them to the ground, kicking them and even throwing chairs at them. surname.
Footage taken from outside the restaurant also shows the assailants dragging the woman who initially refused the man’s advances before being brutally beaten, with mostly passers-by and restaurant patrons are watching.
Photos of her lying on a stretcher, with her face swollen and covered in blood, as well as footage of the attack, have gone viral online.
The attack and public outcry have renewed a conversation about abuses and mistreatment of women in China. Earlier this year, a viral video of a woman chained to a wall in a hut drew public backlash after authorities initially denied that she was a victim of human trafficking. . She was later found to have been sold as a bride.
All nine suspects were arrested Saturday, according to a statement released by authorities on the microblogging platform. Weibo.
Two women also suffered non-life-threatening injuries and are being treated at the hospital. Their condition is reported to be stable. Two others suffered minor injuries.
Footage of what happened both inside and outside the restaurant is less than five minutes. Weibo user who was among the first to post the video said in a post that it was “heartbreaking” to watch.
“Does that mean that now that it’s so unsafe to eat out, we have to take our men with us everywhere we go?” article read. “(These people) are no different from thugs.”
When contacted, the user declined to disclose the source of the video, saying that doing so was “inconvenient”. By Sunday, video footage of the inside of the restaurant had garnered more than 68 million views, while footage showing the graphic attack outside the restaurant had been taken down.
Social media users condemned the attack and criticized Tangshan police for being slow to arrest the suspects.
One Weibo user with BaobaomaoDaren in hand said: “I am a woman and I have a daughter. “I wonder – when I am creating value for society and spreading positive energy, will this society protect me and my children?”
State TV station CCTV camera said in an online commentary that the suspects must be caught as quickly as possible and “severely punished according to the law” in order to be held accountable to victims and the public.





Source link

news5h

News5h: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button