Portuguese football great Cristiano Ronaldo believes that the Saudi Pro League he is in this season could soon become one of the top five in the world.
captain portuguese joined Al-Nassr in January on a contract that was reported by some media to be worth more than 200 million euros ($220.16 million).
Ronaldo has played in three of the world’s top leagues with spells for Real Madrid in Spain’s La Liga, Manchester United in the English Premier League and Juventus in Italy’s Serie A.
The 38-year-old said the quality of the Saudi Arabia league has improved even in the short time he’s been in.
“We’ve gotten much better and the Saudi league is getting better and next year will be even better,” he told Saudi Arabia’s SSC channel on Tuesday.
“Step by step I think this tournament will be among the top five in the world but they need time, players and infrastructure.
“But I believe this country has incredible potential, they have great people and the league is going to be great in my opinion,” he added.
The Saudis have no shortage of ambition and a source told Reuters earlier this month that the Riyadh Al-Hilal club had made a formal offer to secure the services of the Saudis. Lionel Messi, Ronaldo’s rival for the title of the best player of his generation.
Ronaldo scored a stunning goal on Tuesday as Al-Nassr fought back to beat visitors Al-Shabab 3-2 and halted Al-Ittihad’s Saudi Pro League championship celebrations.
BUT RELATED STORY
Register QUESTIONER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer and more than 70 other titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to news, download as early as 4am and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.