To get TechCrunch’s compilation of the biggest and most important stories delivered to your inbox daily at 3pm PDT, Sign up here.
TechCrunch’s Top 3
- cloudy day: Google’s first cloud region in Africa is launched in South Africa. Annie and Tage writes that the move “enables the localization of applications and services” and allows businesses to faster deploy capabilities – for example, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and data analytics.
- Ducks, ducks, geese: French food tech startup Gourmey has received $48 million in new funding to cook lab-grown and slaughter-free foie gras. Romain there are many more.
- Show a little more, show a little less: Facebook is testing a new feature with Stories to let users say how much or how little they want to see certain things in their feed, Aisha report.
Start-ups and VC
Title included, I love it PaulToday’s story on Whistleblower softwareAn aptly named company has received a $3 million investment to further develop its product aimed at making it easier for workers to report corporate misconduct.
Enjoy five more:
Dear Sophie: Any advice for visa negotiations and green card funding?
I am currently on an F-1 student visa. I will receive my bachelor’s degree in computer science in December and will apply for OPT. I want to stay and work in the US
Do you have any tips for negotiating visas and green card funding? Is there anything else I should keep in mind when starting to contact potential employers?
– Shy student
Three others from the TC+ team:
Big Tech Inc.
One network security incident disrupted business at the US hospital chain CommonSpirit Health, causing it to take some of its information technology systems offline, Carly report. It is not yet known what the incident was or if any personal information was taken away in the process.
Here’s another year for you:
- How do we do?: It’s been a year since Google’s $1 Billion Commitment to Africa’s Digital Economyand Tage and Annie make a small evaluation of the performance.
- M&A action: Spotify acquires Kinzena technology company that moderates content, in a move Sarah write will solve platform safety issues.
- We sell you and give you a: Walmart does not allow Amazon’s Prime Early Access Sale to take advantage of the best and deal with the sale itself, Aisha report.
- This is just the beginning: Just as Elon Musk announced he would go ahead with the Twitter deal, a judge allowed the social media giant time to do some digging. There’s really a lot of twists and turns, like Taylor put it. Also, Alex consider How expensive is Elon’s Twitter to buy To be.
- Fight, for your right, to participate: The White House is proposing a AI’s Declaration of Human Rights“requires AI systems to be proven safe and effective through testing and stakeholder consultation, in addition to continuous monitoring of systems during production,” Kyle write.