HOOVER, AL – Oraj Anu hit a ninth inning, a home tie-break and Adam Fogel followed up with a blast of his own to make Kentucky the winner of Sean Harney’s superb start on the field as the Wildcats became the seed. The first 12 in Southeast Conference Tournament history to win the game, knocking out No. 20 Auburn 3-1 at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium on Wednesday.
The Cats (31-24) will now face LSU on Thursday.
Anu hit a 428-foot shot into the midfield in the Hoover Met caves after fellow SEC Player of the Year Sonny DiChiara ended the game at one with a solo strike of his own. in the previous inning. Fogel then places a shot into the parking lot to deliver the final score.
“This is a guy, this is his last year of college baseball, so this is it for him,” England coach Nick Mingione said of Anu. “He and a bunch of our other guys, they just want to keep playing. I’ve heard in the dig many times, we’re not done yet, we want to keep playing.
The same can be said for Harney, who was unreachable until exiting in season eight after banging his head against a wooden ceiling in the previous round. He has gone seven innings without a goal and is currently only giving up once earning in 11.1 innings of his career in the SEC Tournament.
“I want the ball,” Harney said. “I’m ready for it. So just give it your all.”
- Great Britain have scored in 296 of 301 matches under manager Nick Mingione.
- Mingione currently has 174 all-time wins in the UK; one behind adviser John Cohen in third place on the UK list.
- UK pitchers have scored 556 in 55 games.
- Great Britain is 23-37 in 23 appearances in the SEC Tournament.
- Great Britain is 2-4 in the SEC League under Mingione and 6-7 overall in the post-season.
- Junior RHP Sean Harney threw 7.0 innings, not allowing four shots with five hits. In two career appearances at the SEC Tournament, he dropped a match earned in 11.1 innings.
- Junior RHP Tyler Guilfoil scored in the inning to win.
- Junior IF Chase Estep reached safe base in 51 of 55 games this season.
- Oraj Anu senior has hit a record 11 out of 13 since returning to the starting lineup on April 26. He’s been on track to win the game.
- Senior OF Hunter Jump had a 2v4 result with a couple.
- Junior IF Ryan Ritter has safely extended his hit record to 16 with an RBI single.
- Redshirt Freshman C Devin Burkes has finished safely in 10 consecutive games.
ON BOARD OF VEHICLES
Kentucky will face LSU on Thursday in the SEC Tournament. The radio call will be made on the UK Sports Network.