HEARTS parents have issued an urgent warning after their young 13-year-old daughter died after trying out a popular online trend.
Esra Haynes tragically passed away when she inhaled chemicals from the deodorant – an act known as “chroming”.
Eighth year high school student MelbourneAustralia, join the shocking trend of sleeping overnight on March 31, 2023.
Paul and Andrea Haynes, heartbroken father and mother, told A Current Affair: “It was just her regular habit of hanging out with her friends.
“We always knew where she was and we knew who she was with. It’s not anything out of the ordinary.
“Getting this phone call at that time of night, it was one of those calls that no parent wants to receive and we unfortunately got it: ‘Come and pick up your daughter. ‘
“We have images in our minds that will never be erased, you know, of what we were faced with.”
Esra has come in The heart stops beating and was rushed to the hospital by paramedics, where she was quickly put on life support.
Her hopeful parents thought they would bring their daughter home.
However, scans showed that the young teenager had suffered irreparable brain damage.
Tragically, she passed away eight days later, leaving her “heartbroken” parents and three “heartbroken” siblings, Imogen, Seth and Charlie.
Paul said: “She was put on the bed so we could lie down with her.
“We cuddle her until he’s finished.”
‘Chroming’ has been a craze in Australia since 2009 and involves the inhalation of chrome household products such as paints, deodorants and bug sprays.
It produces a temporary feeling of euphoria, similar to the effects of alcohol.
Esra’s parents are currently in a battle to spread awareness and stop the potentially fatal activity from taking any more lives.
Paul said to foretell the sun: “Without a doubt, this will be our crusade.”
Esra’s sister, Imogen, said 7News: “We certainly have a mission to raise awareness for children and anyone who does.
“We don’t want that to happen to anyone else. We don’t want another family to go through this, it’s horrible.”
Chrome-based spray paint is only available to people over the age of 18 in all Australian jurisdictions.
In the remote town of Mount Isa, seven-year-olds breathe toxic fumes every day.
In recent years, big names like Coles, Kmart and Woolworths have begun locking down aerosol products and requiring IDs to purchase.
You know, we have images in our minds that will never be erased, of what we were faced with.”
Paul and Andrea Haynes
Now, stores across Queensland, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Northern Territory, WA and SA are doing the same, as are others.
Esra is an up-and-coming athlete, having led the national team of rhythmic gymnastics, BMX cycling and co-lead her netball team.
Sincere tributes poured in after her death.
Friends describe her as “a girl who can put a smile on anyone’s face no matter what.”
A friend Abbey wrote: “There hasn’t been a day in the last three years that you haven’t made me happy with your contagious smile and gorgeous smile.
“My heart aches and it doesn’t feel real to know that I’ll have to say goodbye to you Esra. You’re so young. You’ve gone too soon.
“I’ll keep trying to make you proud. And keep doing the things that make you happy. I love and miss you so much Esra. Rest in peace in the Paradise of my love.”
Esra’s soccer and netball club said of her: “Determined, fun, daring and talented, she will be admired by her teammates, coaches and the wider community of the club. I miss it so much.”
KEEP CHILDREN SAFE ONLINE
Internet expert Allison Troutner listed eight ways to keep kids safe online:
- Consider a family “technology deal”
- Report any harmful content you see
- Balance security with independence
- Leave the computer in a common place
- Password protect all accounts and devices
- Update your operating system regularly
- Install security or anti-virus software programs and VPNs on your computer
- Set parental controls
Learn more about each step in this Article by The Sun.