MANILA, Philippines—The controversial match between John Riel Casimero and Ryo Akaho of Japan in South Korea, which was originally supposed to be out of action on December 3 of last year, has moved to a knockout.
The result was declared a knockout victory in favor of Casimero by the Korea Boxing Members Board (KBM), which looked into the matter on an appeal by the Game and Entertainment Board.
Akaho himself admitted Casimero’s punches injured him before he was accidentally hit in the back of the head during the second round of their super bantamweight bout.
“Mr. Akaho said that the damage he received was not from the impact of the punch to the back of the head. He took a break to fight again, but he gave up because he couldn’t, and he admitted. that it was a KO loss,” John Hwang, President of KBM, said in a letter to GAB.
The referee was forced to decide the match was no contest when Akaho said he couldn’t continue after being hit in the back of the head.
“After reviewing the match and the evidence presented, KBM has decided to declare Casimero a KO victory, thereby reaffirming KBM’s commitment to sportsmanship and fair play,” GAB said. .
“GAB commends KBM President John Hwang and his team for their decisive action and outstanding leadership.”
Casimero, 33, raised his record to 32-4, 22KOS.
The match against Akaho was the first since he was stripped of his WBO bantamweight belt last May.
BUT RELATED STORY
Registration QUESTIONER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer and over 70 other titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to news, download as early as 4am and share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.