News

Myanmar generals banned from ASEAN until peace plan progress | ASEAN News


Foreign ministers expressed disappointment at the junta’s failure to implement the crisis plan agreed to in April 2021.

Foreign ministers from the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) have agreed to ban Myanmar’s ruling generals from participating in group meetings until they make progress on a pullout plan. 15 months to resolve the crisis caused by the military coup.

Speaking at a press conference at the conclusion of a series of ASEAN regional meetings in Phnom Penh, Cambodian Foreign Minister Prak Sokhonn, who is also special envoy for Myanmar, said the generals “must act in a way that shows progress.” set achieved. we will be able to act on discretion to show progress. “

On Friday, foreign ministers condemned the lack of progress in the so-called Consensus Five points agreed with coup leader Min Aung Hlaing in April 2021 and asked the State Administrative Council (SAC) to act on its own to comply with the plan ahead of the regional summit in November.

The ministers said they were “deeply disappointed by the limited progress and lack of commitment by the Naypyidaw administration in the timely and full implementation of the Five-Point Agreement”.

And in a discreet warning to Myanmar’s military authorities, the statement – referencing Article 20 of the ASEAN Charter – noted that the leaders’ meeting later this year could still deliver action. for “non-compliance”.

Myanmar fell into crisis when the military arrested elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi and other senior officials in February 2021 and seized power for themselves.

The coup spurred a mass civil disobedience movement, nationwide protests, and the formation of anti-coup armed group which the army responded with brutal force.

Some 2,158 people have been killed by the armed forces since the coup, and anger has grown over the generals’ recklessness, especially after the execution of four political prisoners last month.

The army denied the claim

In a Foreign Ministry statement published on the front page of the state-run Global New Light of Myanmar on Saturday, the military said it rejected the ASEAN joint communique and would continue to follow its ‘plan’ five-point plan’, printed next to the statement. on the front page of the newspaper.

“Myanmar believes that ASEAN can maintain unity and centrality in the long run only if all ASEAN member states respect the basic provisions and principles of the ASEAN Charter, especially equality, including sovereignty, sovereignty and non-interference in the internal affairs of ASEAN members. United States,” it said.

The military-appointed foreign minister, Wunna Maung Lwin, was not invited to Phnom Penh and was also excluded from the foreign ministers’ retreat in February, while the army commander and coup leader Min Aung Hlaing was snubbed at last year’s leaders summit.

ASEAN foreign ministers also condemned last month execute by Phyo Zeya Thaw, a lawmaker turned rapper who was a member of Aung San Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy party and veteran political activist Kyaw Min Yu, who is commonly known for his the name Ko Jimmy.

Malaysia has led calls for a tougher approach to Myanmar’s junta, and has also called on the group to engage with National Unity Government (NUG) was founded by elected politicians, generals were removed from power.

The Philippines, Indonesia and Singapore have also pushed for a firmer line.

The Five-Point Consensus calls for an immediate end to violence, the appointment of a special envoy, and discussions involving all stakeholders. Friday’s ASEAN statement stressed the special envoy must be allowed to meet with “all relevant stakeholders”.

The SAC did not allow the first ASEAN envoy, the foreign minister of Brunei, to meet Aung San Suu Kyi, nor did Prak Sokhonn do so.

The Nobel laureate has been jailed after a closed-door trial, and faces a slew of charges that could put her behind bars for years.

Myanmar joined ASEAN in 1997 under the former military regime.

The SAC has sought to label those who oppose its takeover as “terrorists”.

The United Nations says hundreds of thousands of people have forced to leave their home as a result of military attacks, while human rights experts accuse the military War Crimes for attacks on civilians.



Source link

news5h

News5h: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button