Summer Team List: 20 things I want to do this season
One thing that is rarely said about the privilege of having children is that they help get you back in touch with the simple joys of summer. In my twenties and early thirties, I felt guilty about letting time pass, making last-minute plans, and just enjoying life spontaneously day in and day out. There have been summers when I’ve been busy traveling and working, and they’ll be gone in the blink of an eye.
As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized that there are things worth balancing both ways of life — deliberately working to make a plan a reality while still leaving space to give it wings. My hope is that the bucket list I’ve compiled here will allow a bit of both.
My 2022 Summer Team List
- Keeping my herbs alive all summer.
- Host at least one proper outdoor party in our backyard.
- Throw a great birthday party for August.
- Organize a collage party. Creating something new can be the main reason to get together.
- Visit some museums.
- Visiting my parents in Chicago.
- Play tennis.
- Continue my morning routine, with alone time to start each day. (You can read my step-by-step morning routine here!)
- Starlight with August.
- Learn how to make ribs.
- Shop as much as you can at the farmers market.
- Spend as much time as you can at the pool.
- Camp with the kids in the backyard.
- Try out some of the new restaurants in town with Joe for date nights.
- Try things that are new to me outside like paddle boarding or kayaking.
- Make popsicles.
- Enjoy every thunderstorm.
- Write a little bit every day. I’ve been wanting to do this for a while but it keeps burning back.
- Track how I spend my days, to have a better relationship with the passage of time.
- Take more photos. I turn off my phone more often because it tends to stress me out. Photography used to be my favorite thing and I want to go back to it.
What’s on your summer team list this year?
Kate is currently learning to play the ukulele, leaving her husband, children and dogs desperate. Follow her on Instagram at @witanddelight_.