World

US Consulate ordered to leave Shanghai amid COVID outbreak

The United States has ordered its consular staff to leave Shanghai, which is under lockdown to prevent a spike in COVID-19.

The State Department said the order was an upgrade from an “authorized” departure order issued last week that made the decision voluntary.

The order covers “non-emergency US government employees and their family members from the US Consulate General in Shanghai.”

In a statement late Monday, the department said, “Our change of posture reflects our assessment that it is best for our employees and their families to reduce numbers and activities. Ours is miniaturized as we deal with the changing reality.”

China angrily responded to the earlier voluntary departure order.

Source link

news5h

News5h: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button